June is finally here, summer is (almost) here, and that means that the 2017 Diverse Summer Reading List PreK-8 from LEE & LOW is here!
Click here to download, print, and share the 2017 Diverse Summer Reading List Grades PreK-8 along with the LEE & LOW Reading Log and Certificate of Achievement.
This list is not only an excellent tool to help you include diverse books in your summer suggested reading lists, but a way to begin diversifying the books available to students in your classroom libraries. It is important to remember that diverse books are not only for diverse readers. Reading books featuring diverse characters and communities mirror experiences in their own lives, allowing children to see themselves reflected in the stories they love, but they also provide windows into other life experiences to understand and be more accepting of the world around them.
Use the #DiverseSummerReads hashtag and share with us what you’re are reading this summer @LEEandLOW
There are also many great organizations compiling and creating Summer Reading Book Lists and offering free, exciting programs for the summer. Be sure to check out your local library as well as the following groups for additional summer reading tips, suggestions, and ideas:
- NYPL 2017 Summer Reading Challenge
- 2017 Summer Reading at NY Libraries
- Social Justice Books Summer Reading List 2017
- 2017 ALSC Summer Reading Lists
- 2017 Summer Reading Teaching Tolerance
- Colorín Colorado Summer Reading ELL’s at the Library
- Reading Rockets Summer Reading Guide 2017
- Reading is Fundamental Summer Learning
- WNDB Summer Reading Series
- Tackle the Summer Reading List from ReadWriteThink.org
- Help Your Students and Families Find the Best Summer Learning Opportunities
Finally, find out how culturally responsive your classroom library is with the free Classroom Library Questionnaire and begin building a diverse collection with the resources below:
- The Diversity Gap in Children’s Publishing 2017
- Debunking 3 Common Myths About Diverse Books
- Checklist: 8 Steps to Creating a Diverse Book Collection
- Where Can I Find Great Diverse Children’s Books?
Veronica has a degree from Mount Saint Mary College and joined LEE & LOW in the fall of 2014. She has a background in education and holds a New York State childhood education (1-6) and students with disabilities (1-6) certification. When she’s not wandering around New York City, you can find her hiking with her dog Milo in her hometown in the Hudson Valley, NY.
2 thoughts on “2017 Diverse Summer Reading List Grades PreK-8”
Such a great post!!!
Comments are closed.