A few weeks ago we hosted our first webinar, “Shaping Up Your Manuscript: A Conversation With Our Editors,” sharing writing advice for those who are interested in submitting to our New Voices Award, our New Visions Award, or just our general submissions. You can now watch (or rewatch) it online here:
This webinar covers topics such as:
- Choosing a subject for a picture-book manuscript
- What separates great manuscripts from merely okay ones
- The difference between middle-grade and YA novels
- The elements of terrific first pages
- What we seek in contest submissions as well as year-round
- Practical revision techniques to help your manuscript stand out
- Cheryl Klein, Editorial Director at Lee & Low Books: Cheryl has edited or co-edited many award-winning titles including Shadowshaper by Daniel José Older, Marcelo in the Real World by Francisco X. Stork, If I Ever Get Out of Here by Eric Gansworth, King Baby by Kate Beaton, and Millicent Min, Girl Genius by Lisa Yee. You can find her on the web at www.cherylklein.com and @chavelaque.
- Stacy Whitman, Publisher at Tu Books, an imprint of Lee & Low Books: Stacy is the founder and publisher of Tu Books, an imprint of Lee & Low Books that publishes diverse middle grade and young adult fiction. Stacy helped to establish Lee & Low’s New Visions Award. Her books include Summer of the Mariposas, Ink and Ashes, and Killer of Enemies. You can find her on Twitter @stacylwhitman.
- Jessica Echeverria, Senior Editor at Lee & Low Books: Jessica has worked on a variety of different formats including early readers, bilingual books, middle grade fiction, and picture books. Some of her projects include The Hula-Hoopin’ Queen, Twenty-two Cents, and Tiny Stitches. Jessica has had the distinct pleasure of working with a number of New Voices award winner and honor recipients, and loves working with new talent.
Note: This was our first webinar recording, so please pardon any technical issues. We’ll get better! To learn about future webinars, subscribe to our email newsletter.
Have Unanswered Questions? Check out our New Voices Award FAQs and New Visions Award FAQs for more information about submitting your manuscript to our writing contests.
5 thoughts on “Webinar Recording: A Conversation With Lee & Low’s Editors”
Such wonderful and helpful advice in this webinar for all of us “newbies”! Thank you once again Sheryl, Stacy, and Jessica. I have followed you on Twitter and look forward to supporting your books on my website and social media as well!
Thank you for this informative webinar, which encourages me to submit my middle grade novel to TU Books.
Comments are closed.